Get to know your students with a quick and easy “Would You Rather” daily roll call question. Simply post the question of the day and as you take the roll, students answer the “Would You Rather question. You can take it a step further and ask a few students to explain their reasoning. I kept a checklist, so I knew all students had the opportunity to explain their reason further several times a month.
Another reason I love the “Would You Rather” roll call question is because every student starts the class with a question they can answer and there is no pressure. It breaks the ice and gets the class going.
Click on the image to download! The download is a Power Point Slide Show, but it can easily be converted to Google Slides as well!
Each class period begins with the reading of the agenda and roll call question. Students have the opportunity to answer the roll call question as the roll is called instead of saying here students answer the questions. If the student does not want to share they say “pass”. Many teachers have forgone roll call to save time. Although a roll call theme can be used to show your students you care about them, as well as find out new and interesting things about your students. My students look forward to the roll call question and suggestion new roll call themes each day. I have listed some below to get you started. I am always looking for new questions to ask my students, so please share any ideas you may have.
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- If you could have any super power what would it be?
- What is your favorite color?
- What is your favorite food?
- What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
- Do you want to move when you grow up or stay in ________?
- If you could meet anyone who would that be?
- If you could go anywhere where would that be?
- What college do you want to go to?
- Where were you born?
- What is/was your favorite cartoon?
- What color is your toothbrush?
- Do you have any pets?
- What is your favorite candy bar?
- How many states have you visited?
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
- If you could have any animal as a pet what would it be?
- What do you like most about yourself?
- Do you believe in aliens?
- What is your favorite book?
- Do you like to dance?
- Would you rather be inside or outside?