One quick way to include daily practice and motivate students to master basic facts is through the use of the I have… Who Has? card decks. These decks can be created for virtually any topic. The decks can be used as both a whole class practice or as a center activity for partners or small groups.
- Distributing Cards: Distribute one card to each student, then distribute the extras to strong students in the beginning and to random students as the class becomes more familiar with the deck.
- Class Play: As you distribute the cards, encourage students to begin thinking about what the question for their card might be so that they are prepared to answer. When all cards are distributed, have the student with the start card begin. Play until the congratulations card is reached.
- Timed Play: Consider using a stopwatch to time the class game. Record the time on the board so that students try each game to beat their current best time. This practice encourages students to stay attentive and prompts students to practice skills so that the class time improves.
- Partner or Small-Group Play:
- One student deals out the cards to all players.
- Players arrange the cards face-up in front of them.
- Play begins with the start card.
- Play continues as in the class game. .
- Students turn over the cards after reading them. (to help them keep up with their cards)
- Play until the end card.
- Shuffle the cards and repeat the game.
To get everyone started or to add to your collections here are some freebies: